- Dec 2012 - Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation awards $2.1 million grant to BigBOSS, http://newscenter.lbl.gov/news-releases/2012/12/04/moore-foundation-bigboss/.
- Oct 2012 - Fourth BigBOSS collaboration meeting.
- Dec 2011 - BigBOSS DOE R&D Review. Received a strong endorsement in the review report, BigBOSS DOE Review Report December 2011.
- Sept 2011 - Third BigBOSS collaboration meeting held in conjunction with a BigBOSS community workshop.
- Feb 2011 - Second BigBOSS collaboration meeting.
- Dec 2010 – Strong scientific endorsement of BigBOSS from the Schmidt committee. Endorses collaboration between NOAO and BigBOSS to bring BigBOSS to fruition.
- Nov 2010 – NOAO convenes external non-advocate review (Schmidt committee) of BigBOSS.
- Oct 2010 – The full 280 page BigBOSS proposal http://bigboss.lbl.gov/docs/BigBOSS_NOAO_public.pdf was submitted by a large international team that is led by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and includes 16 US institutions (universities and national laboratories) as well as international partners.
- Sept 2010 – Astro2010 Decadal Survey NWNH report http://sites.nationalacademies.org/bpa/BPA_049810 calls BigBOSS a “compelling” medium-scale project. “The Program Prioritization Panels recommended very highly a subset of these…” where BigBOSS is 1 of the 4 such recommendations in the $40M to $120M range.
- Sept 2010 – Astro2010 Decadal Survey Panel Report on Optical and Infrared Astronomy from the Ground identifies massively multiplexed spectroscopy as an essential capability.
- March 2010 – Letter of Intent Submitted to NOAO.
- Dec 2009 – NOAO Call for proposals for Large Science Programs, http://www.noao.edu/kpno/largescience.html.
- Nov 2009 – First BigBOSS collaboration meeting.
- Oct 2009 – The Particle Astrophysics Scientific Assessment Group (a subpanel of the NSF/DOE HEPAP Federal Advisory Committee) states: “Substantial immediate support is recommended for BigBOSS R&D”. http://www.er.doe.gov/hep/files/pdfs/PASAG_Report.pdf
- July 2009 – BigBOSS presentation to the Particle Astrophysics Scientific Assessment Group (PASAG).
- June 2009 – BigBOSS RFP response to Astro2010 Decadal Survey submitted, and committee oral presentation.
- April 2009 – BigBOSS white paper, http://arxiv.org/abs/0904.0468, submitted to decadal survey.